Fresh Air Family Adventures
Spring Break Wildflower Walk
Moss Rock Preserve, Hoover
Tuesday,10 am, March 28
Join Verna Gates, former president of the Birmingham Wildflower Society, on a story-filled flower walk. We will see Spring in technicolor!
Gross Out Day Oak Mountain State Park,
Earth Day, April 22
10am – 10:45am: Scales & Tails -- LIVE Animal program at the Oak Mountain Interpretive Center
11am – 12pm: What Flower is That? Hike-- Learn how to identify wildflowers through their folklore stories. Treetop Nature Trail. Meet at the Oak Mountain Interpretive Center
1pm – 1:30pm: Know your H2O! Is it really clear what’s in your water? Interactive Water Quality Program with the Enviroscape at the Oak Mountain Interpretive Center.
1:45pm – 2:15pm: Birds on the Boardwalk --Who? Who? Who? Is that bird? Guided tour of the Treetop Nature Trail Birds of Prey. Meet at the Beach Access Parking Lot.
2:30pm – 3pm: Turtle Takeover Game & Turtle Encounter --Come out of your shell with a Turtle Takeover game! A game about species population and troubles they face. Meet a real box turtle. Oak Mountain Interpretive Center.
3pm – 4pm: Fairy House Adventure Hike --What is that creature on the trail? A fairy? A salamander? A roly poly? Find out as you build your very own Fairy House, flip logs, and play in the creek for a fun adventure starting at the Oak Mountain Interpretive Center.
2023 Spring Native Plant Sales in Alabama
· Mobile Botanical Gardens Large Plantasia Plant Sale (includes some native plants and native cultivars, but be careful - they also offer non-native invasives!): Online Catalog opens Friday Feb. 24 at 8am and closed Monday March 6 at 5pm. Curbside Pickups of ordered plants on Fri, March 3rd, Wed, March 8th and Fri., March 10th. Ticketed Preview Party Thursday, March 16 at 4:00 - 7:00 PM, Plant SaleFriday, March 17 and Saturday March 18 at 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM at Market Place, 5151 Museum Dr., Mobile, AL 36608. https://www.mobilebotanicalgardens.org (Plant List posted online under Events, Plantasia/Spring Plant Sale)
· * Nemophily Natives Soft Opening: Saturday, March 25th, from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Nemophily Natives is a plant nursery specializing in perennials, shrubs and trees native to Alabama and the Southeast. A Grand Opening will occur later in the spring. Nemophily Natives will be open Wednesdays (9 AM - 1 PM) and Saturdays (9 AM - 2 PM) thereafter. 3938 Cotton Valley Lane, Auburn, AL 36832. It's located on a rural (but residential), dead-end lane branching off of Wire Road, so please drive slowly and be mindful of neighborhood residents! Follow on Facebook and Instagram for news and updates.
· *Lee County Master Gardeners Annual Native Azalea Sale: April 1 from 8:00 AM - Noon (or until plants are gone - and they go fast!) at the parking lot at the southwest corner of E. Glenn Ave. and E. University Dr., Auburn, AL 36830. Plants sell out fast, so arrive at 8:00 AM for the best selection. For more info, email Will Shinn, LCMGvicepresident@gmail.com.
· *Davis Arboretum 2023 Annual Native Plant Sale: Saturday, April 8 from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM and will feature its Auburn Series Azaleas, along with native shrubs, trees, vines and perennials. 181 Garden Dr., Auburn AL 36849 on the Auburn University campus. The sale is part of the Auburn Azalea Festival that will feature fun outreach programs from the Auburn University Museum of Natural History, the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, live music, food trucks, and arts & crafts vendors. http://www.auburn.edu/cosam/arboretum/ Arrive early for best selection.
· Birmingham Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale (includes native plants): (Member Priority Sale on Thursday, April 13 from 1:00 PM - 5:30 PM), Public Sale on Friday, April 14 from 8:00 AM - 5:30 PM and Saturday, April 15 from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM; at 2612 Lane Park Road (in the Gardens; Formal Lawn and Hill Garden), Birmingham, AL 35223; Bring a cart or wagon; payment by check and credit card. bbgardens.org/event/spring-plant-sale-2023/
· Huntsville Botanical Garden Spring Plant Sale (includes some native plants): (Members-Only Pre-Sale on Friday, April 13 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM), Public Sale on April 14-15 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM at 4747 Bob Wallace Ave. SW, Huntsville, AL 35805. https://hsvbg.org/event/spring-plant-sale/
· Baldwin County Master Gardeners Spring Plant Sale (includes some native plants): April 14 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM held across from Weeks Bay Reserve at 11300 U.S. Hwy 98, Fairhope, AL 36532.
· Master Gardeners of North Alabama Plant Sale (includes some native plants): Friday, April 14 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM and Saturday, April 15 from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM at the Alabama A&M Agribition Center, 4925 Moores Mill Rd., Huntsville, AL. mginfo.org
· Cherokee County Master Gardeners Plant Sale (includes some native plants): Saturday, April 15 from 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM at Centre City Park on Armory Dr., Centre, AL 35960.
· Morgan County Master Gardeners Annual Plant Sale (includes some native plants): Saturday, April 15 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM and Sunday, April 16 from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM at the Point Mallard Expo Pavilion, 2901-C Point Mallard Circle, Decatur, AL 35601. mg.aces.edu/morgan/2016-plant-sale/
· Cherokee County Master Gardeners Plant Sale (includes some native plants): Saturday, April 22 from 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM at the Leesburg Fire Department, 1900 Lokey St., Leesburg, AL 35983.
· Chilton County Master Gardeners Plant Sale (includes some native plants): Saturday, April 22 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the Goose Pond Park, 799 Blackberry Ln. (906 7th St. N), Clanton, AL 35045. Facebook: @chiltoncountymastergardeners or mg.aces.edu/chilton/events/plant-sale
· Aldridge Gardens Annual Spring Plant Sale (includes native plants and native cultivars): April 27 and 28 from 9:00 AM -5:00 PM and Saturday, April 29 from 8:30 AM - 12 noon at 3530 Lorna Road, Hoover, AL 35216. https://aldridgegardens.com/.../annual.../annual_plant_sale/
· Calhoun County Master Gardeners Spring Plant Sale: (includes some native plants) Friday, April 28 from 5:00 PM and Saturday, April 29 from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM at Longleaf Botanical Gardens, 920 Museum Dr., Anniston, AL 36206.
Keep checking The Alabama Wildflower Society Facebook page for updates as more sales get added.
*Sales with an asterisk before the name offer only or mostly native plants. Get to the sales early for best selection.